On Feb 23, 2009, at 10:05 PM, Ronan Paixão wrote:

> You pretty much have the same problems as I do, since I'm also an
> Electronic Engineer. I also find sage hard to use from a
> non-mathematician's POV (dealing with Fields isn't something one's
> accustomed to do in Engineering).

This is a big problem for me as well. One of the things I like about
Maple is that it's fairly accessible for a non-mathematician.

> Also, I have tried many ways to do bode plots in sage, but nothing was
> really good, since sage's plot like to break badly for non-default
> axes
> because of automatic point placement. Anyway, I couldn't do more due
> time constraints, but some people have recently made some additions to
> the plot code, so I may take another look at it when I have time.

I like the idea of a canvas backend for matplotlib, but I have little
time
for my current Sage-related commitments, so any work I might want to
do on
that will wait. Improving the symbolic calculus is far more important
for
my work. Especially since I generally don't bother with the notebook.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey