On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Maurizio <maurizio.gran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it a problem interfacing to any symbolic package different from the
> ordinary maxima one? I don't exactly recall if I took advantage of
> others.

OK, I spent some time looking at this, and this may indeed be the
problem.  I have a workaround for your case, but I may need more
information to get somebody to actually fix the problem.

Can you try this test:

var('Cb')
G_igr_d._operands[1]._operands[1] is Cb

and report what the last line prints?

If it prints False, then you're seeing what I'm seeing: somehow you
have two different synbolic variable objects, both named Cb.
Ordinarily you would only ever have one such object.  With two
separate objects, Python can't immediately answer the question whether
Cb_1==Cb_2, so it asks Maxima (which says yes, they're equal).

In that case, the workaround is to do:
G_works = SR(repr(G_igr_d))
This is an ugly hack that prints out G_igr_d, and then parses it back
in; doing so makes it use the standard variable objects.

If this is the problem, can you try to remember how you actually got
G_igr_d?  It seems like the problem actually might be the integration
with some other symbolic system, and it would be very helpful to know
which one.

Carl