On Feb 26, 2009, at 9:08 PM, Carl Witty wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity, do you think we should also get rid of this?
>>
>> sage: R.<x> = ZZ[]
>> sage: x(x+1)
>> x + 1
>
> Ouch, that's a tougher question, since I actually use that
> construct :)
>
> But since I don't want to be a total hypocrite, I'm going to say yes,
> we should get rid of it.

I'm would vote no, that would be pedantic to the point of reducing
usability. My justification is that ZZ[x] can be viewed as the set of
rational functions from Z to Z, much closer to the "f(x) = x^2+1"
than "f = x^2+1" construction. There is a well-defined "input
variable" for all elements of ZZ[x], even constant ones, unlike the
"symbolic ring" where the "inputs" are not well defined.

However, what about plot(x^2, 0, 10)? I can see that plot(x^2, (x, 0,
10)) would still work...

BTW, the the issue of implicit multiplication came up. It would not
accept "x(x+1)"--it only handles cases that are otherwise invalid
syntax, like "2x".

> (With a deprecation message -- eventually to
> be replaced by an error message -- that gives the recommended
> replacement.)
>
> So, should I prepare patches that deprecate implicit calling of
> symbolics

Yes.