On Feb 27, 1:44 pm, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi John,

> Thanks -- I thought that a while ago we agreed not to have non-7-bit
> characters (e.g. in names of Authors).

Well, we kind of did, but that evil Mike Hansen might have snuck some
of them back in :). In Python files themselves we can deal with non-7
bit ASCII by declaring an encoding. That might be all that is needed
to fix this quickly for now and then we can deal by auditing the tree
and getting rid of them. It isn't all black and white since there are
legitimate doctests that use non-7 bit ASCII in the notebook for
example. I would hope we can declare encodings for ReST files since
otherwise the French translation is going to be a liability since
removing all accents will just make us look like fools :)

>  But it is weird that sage-main
> runs fine whlie the clone does not.

Move the tree and it will likely blow up. This is indeed strange since
the problem occurs when recreating the pyc files (at least I have seen
that problem, too) that were created just fine the first time around.
Oh well, ....

> John

Cheers,

Michael