On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, mabshoff wrote:
> Well, let me rephrase my point: If you
>
>   touch spkg/installed/clisp-2.46.p7
>
> Sage's dependency system will assume that that clisp.spkg is
> installed, so even if the compilation failed at some point you never
> need to mess with "deps", i.e. the instructions should read: "If
> building clisp on Gentoo fails emerge ...., then do something about
> some script and links, etc, do 'touch spkg/installed/clisp-2.46.p7'
> and restart the build process with 'make'" - this should be much more
> simple than messing with 'deps' since any dumb mistake in that file
> will leave you with a broken Sage dependency system where the standard
> question would be "Why did you touch that file" :)

I think I understand what you are after now.
I recommend careful reading. In any case just touching clisp-2.46.p7
won't work as the maxima spkg look for clisp.bin and there isn't one in
Gentoo... hence the linking, but yes touching the file will prevent
messing up with deps. Didn't think about it that way.

I am changing the instructions to reflect this. Do I understand you would
prefer a small script named clisp.bin like
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/clisp

rather than a symbolic link in step 2?
I will post an updated version once this is clarified.

Cheers,
Francois