On Feb 28, 11:27 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Simon King <k...@mathematik.uni-jena.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi William,
>
> > On 28 Feb., 04:49, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> You should use Sage in such cases.  Type
> >>  sage: email?
> >> for more details.   That uses Twisted behind the scenes.
>
> > Very cool -- was my first reaction. But wouldn't this allow to turn a
> > public notebook into a spam-bot?
>
> Yes.

Well, you have os.system and I have yet to see a system without the
mail command. William's version is just more efficient :)

> > Is there a security feature to prevent this?
>
> Not at sagenb.org right now, but it is easy to add prevention of this
> by adding a firewall to the virtual server to not allow any outgoing
> ports to be opened.

Email gets out in many cases where you don't expect it. You have to do
a really tight set of firewall rules which will likely make the box
not that usable any more anyway :)

> William

Cheers,

Michael