On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 2:29 PM, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 11:27 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Simon King <k...@mathematik.uni-jena.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi William,

>> > Very cool -- was my first reaction. But wouldn't this allow to turn a
>> > public notebook into a spam-bot?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Well, you have os.system and I have yet to see a system without the
> mail command. William's version is just more efficient :)

s...@sagenb:~$ mail
The program 'mail' can be found in the following packages:
 * mailx
 * mailutils
Ask your administrator to install one of them
-bash: mail: command not found

>> > Is there a security feature to prevent this?
>>
>> Not at sagenb.org right now, but it is easy to add prevention of this
>> by adding a firewall to the virtual server to not allow any outgoing
>> ports to be opened.
>
> Email gets out in many cases where you don't expect it. You have to do
> a really tight set of firewall rules which will likely make the box
> not that usable any more anyway :)

I would turn off opening of any ports at all by non-root users.  Does
that make the
box unusable?  Note that sendmail, etc., isn't installed systemwide.

William