Dear Mike, dear Henryk,

What's the status of the merge of your implementations of power
series? I need a couple functionalities not yet in Mike's
implementation, and mainly:
 - conversion from a polynomial
 - division

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 06:29:35AM -0700, Henryk Trappmann wrote:
> On Oct 30, 1:14 pm, "Mike Hansen" <mhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I said recursively defined streams, I meant something a little
> > more general.  For example, if f is a power series and g is exp(f),
> > then g satisfies g = \int g*f'.  This translates to the following code
> > for the exponential of power series:
> >
> > g.define( (f.derivative()*g).integral(base_ring(1)) )
>
> If that works, the better.
>

> > The benefit of this is that it reduces the complexity of
> > exponentiation to that of multiplication for which there are fast
> > algorithms.  Generally, you want to reduce everything (composition,
> > division, logs, etc) to multiplication in order to get asymptotically
> > fast algorithms.
>
> Sure, but I would say functionality before performance.

This approach gives both: it's a very powerful way to define most of
the operations in very few lines, while giving optimal complexity (it
can be seen as a newton iteration in disguise).

<snip>

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/