Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> Dear Sage developers,
>
> Is it possible to view an x3d file from a sage worksheet (assuming my
> browser has the necessary plugin or java support for example)? I saw
> numerous mentions of x3d support in the source code in plot/plot3d.  For
> example if one generates a 'foo.png', the image is immediately and very
> conveniently rendered.  This doesn't work if I save an x3d file.
>
> The reason I ask is really simple.  mayavi2 can produce x3d files via
> mlab.savefig('foo.x3d') for example (thanks to VTK) and freewrl is able
> to view these pretty well.  I was wondering if there were a mechanism to
> support this seamlessly on a notebook.  This would allow for very nice
> integrated 3D display.  Alternatively, does jmol support display via x3d
> files?  Ondrej has integrated mayavi2 with the notebook but it only
> produces static images and I'd like to find an easy way to also provide
> 3D interactivity.  Here are a few simple examples from Ondrej's site
> that I made from some mlab examples:
>
>   http://nb.hpfem.org/home/pub/16

I just installed FreeWRL and looked at this.  Awesome!  It looks like
this might be the best way to get good opengl graphics (and mayavi!) in
the sage notebook while we still wait on the possibility of an html
canvas3d tag.

I noticed that, at least with Freewrl, there didn't seem to be an easy
way of rotating the object in the above demo.  Instead, all the methods
focused on navigating the camera.  Does anyone know a way to rotate the
whole scene around some point, similar to grabbing and dragging an
object in jmol or mayavi?  This could be accomplished by moving the
camera around a sphere, always pointing at the same spot in space.

Thanks,

Jason