On Monday 16 March 2009 12:27:10 pm kcrisman wrote:
> sage: integrate(y^2)
> TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call
> last)
> TypeError: cannot coerce type '<type
> 'sage.symbolic.expression.Expression'>' into a SymbolicExpression.
>
> Of course, the current error is because we haven't done the switch to
> Pynac for everything yet.  Why this would not still be valid input (to
> echo Ronan) after the switch is mystifying to me - again, or perhaps I
> have misinterpreted the deprecation proposal.

Here's my reason for wanting it deprecated.  It's fragile in the face of
unexpected input (I don't like being lulled into a false sense that my code
works when suddenly it wouldn't work for a constant input):

sage: f=x
sage: # many lines of code
sage: integrate(f)
x^2/2

sage: f=1
sage: # many lines of code
sage: integrate(f)  # what does this mean?
... hangs maxima ...
sage: integrate(f,x)  # what does this mean?

Now, the fact that the "integrate(1)" hangs maxima is probably a bug all it's
own.

--
Joel