> So, up to now, my wishlist is:
> - better Laplace, Fourier, Zeta, any other transform management
> (especially in symbolic)
> - unit of measurement integration
> - extensible comparison between different implementations of all those
> features in the different packages (better to do the limit/integral/
> anything else with maxima, or with sympy, or with sympycore, or with
> pynac???)
> - NEW: labels in the notebook :) colors would be VERY nice as well!

Just to add fuel to the fire, I was told point-blank by one of my
colleagues that unless Sage (or Octave or any other OSS) had drivers
to connect to measurement hardware in his labs, he didn't see the
point of trying to use Sage, because vendors supply/sell drivers
hooking Matlab to the type of equipment he uses, and he wasn't about
to write a driver.

I don't really know whether this is true or not (that is, that it's
too annoying to get data into Sage directly from things) and I don't
even know exactly what sort of measurement device he was talking
about, but this seems very plausible, as well as something the current
developer network is not going to be able to solve any time soon.
Food for thought, at least, esp. since a large piece of the current
college calculus market is pre-engineers (see David Bressoud's recent
articles in the Notices and FOCUS, e.g.) and those are the future
users of Sage or any other similar program.

- kcrisman