Lucio,

Thanks for the reply.

Downloaded the iso and burned a new CD.  Tested it on same 2 machines,
plus one more:

6-month old Toshiba laptop, with admittedly screwy wireless hardware
(twice)

Older Dell desktop, wired networking (twice)

2-month old home-built desktop, wired networking (once)
  RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller

All three normally run some variant of Ubuntu.  Xubuntu seems to run
and then all five attempts hang at a command prompt saying

ubu...@ubuntu~: nm-system-settings:  Adding default connection 'Auto
eth0' for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net<mac-address-
with_underscores?>

(That's typed-in rather than cut/paste so might not be 100% correct.)

Rob