thank you for adding fuel! :)

I honestly think that SAGE's user target should be slightly different
from that one. I mean, picking data from hardware drivers is just a
matter of companies agreement and capability to crunches large
quantities of data.

In this software, on the contrary, I see a powerful symbolic calculus
capability, which is not that easy to find! I see a big number of
design engineers out there, whose interest is system modeling, system
design, system analysis, and I don't see any capability to accomplish
this without any powerful symbolic or analytical system (unless you
just prefer to do thousands of simulations...).

Moreover, it's very important to deal with interfacing the analysis
results to data arrays of reasonable size. In this way, the engineer
is enabled to verify and match the analysis versus some simulation or
experimental results, without necessarily needing to physically
connect the measurement hardware to the pc. Most of the time, a couple
of waveforms is more than enough!

I have been able to take some advantage of MAXIMA in the past, but the
reality is that SAGE has some added value in this field:
1) nice and powerful data and analysis representation (I LOVE the
notebook)
2) easy sharing within a network (I LOVE the notebook)
3) easy interfacing with additional external packages
4) easy interfacing to numerical packages (like numpy)

Do you see why I do like SAGE? And I do see a LOT of potential for the
engineering world!! But I think we need some effort to further develop
that... hopefully I'll push for that :)

Regards

Maurizio

Let me throw this stone, it's just something that pops into my mind
now: do you know what simulink is? That is a unique feature of MatLab
(actually it's a toolbox), which has been pathetically replicated by
somebody, but with no results in my opinion. To the best of my
knowledge, I actually see SAGE as a viable platform to possibly work
on something like that, even though we are MILES away to have the
chance to do that. Before, we should use this brick to build all the
necessary engineering walls, because we really need a comfortable
building first, to think about such an additional package...
My point is that we have a chance here, for something useful not only
to mathematician, but also to a whole world of people, long awaiting
for something to free them from the boring and expensive chain of
Matlab and Mathcad and Mathematica...

My 2 cents