Darren Dale wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Robert Bradshaw <
> rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

>>> Hello, I am Darren Dale, the developer of Quantities. Thank you
>>> Maurizio for contacting me.
>>>
>> Glad to hear from you.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>  I guess the question I have for this list is, what would be required
>>> for quantities to work in sage? I would prefer to try to work out the
>>> numpy issues I alluded to before quantities gets too much exposure, in
>>> case changes in API are required (unlikely).
>>>

>> Am I correct in understanding that the values in Quantities all need to be
>> NumPy values? If this is the case, it probably boils down to NumPy's not
>> handling of non-Python types. This really needs to get resolved.
>>

> Quantities values are all instances of Quantity or a subclass thereof, and
> Quantity itself is a subclass of ndarray. It sounds like the first step
> would be to work out this compatibility issue between sage objects and
> ndarray. Has anyone brought it up at numpy-discussion?

Not that I'm aware of.  As far as I can tell, the root of the problem
boils down to what was explained in
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/msg/f0e3d8d7c5a05afa

Do you know what is going on (why a "NotImplemented" is returned)?  Or
more importantly, do you know if that is something that we need to
implement, or something that numpy needs to implement?

If you don't know the answer off the top of your head, I agree that
posting to the numpy list is the best thing.

Thanks,

Jason