On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Henryk Trappmann
<bo198...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Oh, then I have some questions.
>
> First how shall the class finally be named (the current name
> PowerSeriesI is rather a working title):
> LazyPowerSeries (conflict with Mike Hansen's package),
> InfinitePowerSeries, LIPS?

(1) CamelCase is good for class names

(2) It isn't a problem to use the same name as a class in another file
-- there's no conflict at all in Python because of namespaces.

(3) I can't tell you what to name your class.

> and into which package should it go: sage.rings ?

Yes.

> shall it inherit from Ring?

Is it a ring?  If so, then yes.  Inheritance must *always* satisfy an
"is a" relationship.   I.e., if you ever do

  class X(Y):

then every instance of the class X has to be a special case of Y.
I.e., "Any X is a Y".

E.g., here, any lazy power series ring R is certainly a ring.

> Though it can also be used as a field if it is taken over a Field
> (i.e. has formal laurant series properties).

I can't tell you which to do.  Field derives from Ring.

William