Jason Grout wrote:
> Maurizio wrote:
>> Let me throw this stone, it's just something that pops into my mind
>> now: do you know what simulink is? That is a unique feature of MatLab
>> (actually it's a toolbox), which has been pathetically replicated by
>> somebody, but with no results in my opinion. To the best of my
>> knowledge, I actually see SAGE as a viable platform to possibly work
>> on something like that, even though we are MILES away to have the
>> chance to do that. Before, we should use this brick to build all the
>> necessary engineering walls, because we really need a comfortable
>> building first, to think about such an additional package...
>> My point is that we have a chance here, for something useful not only
>> to mathematician, but also to a whole world of people, long awaiting
>> for something to free them from the boring and expensive chain of
>> Matlab and Mathcad and Mathematica...
>>
>> My 2 cents
>>

> We've had some threads on Simulink (and the scilab version of simulink)
> before.  You're right; we don't have sufficient framework for it right
> now.  It's certainly come up before, and I'm sure it will again.  I'm
> not sure anyone has very much experience with it, though.
>
> There have been some attempts at some similar functionality in python.
> It would be interesting for someone that is familiar with simulink (and
> the audience simulink addresses) to comment on what is available in
> python or what is available, maybe in C, that could be wrapped by Sage.

How about:
PyLab_Works is a free and open source replacement for LabView + MatLab, written
in pure Python. PyLab_Works is a visual design package, much easier to learn
and
to extend than LabView. PyLab_Works also supports a MatLab-like environment for
doing scientific and engineering calculations but with a much better general
programming environment (thanks to Python + Scipy) than MatLab. Even kids can
use it!

See: http://code.google.com/p/pylab-works/

Jaap