On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM, ahmet alper parker <aapar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is there any cooperative linux version of sage on windows?
> http://www.colinux.org/

The most popular version of Sage is often the sage-vmware image, which
is a premade vmware image for using Sage on Windows that I make.   I
don't think that is what Anne was asking about though, since anybody
would already be aware of it.

Regarding colinux, it is much better to use AndLinux, which is derived
from CoLinux.  I used to regularly distribute Sage for windows using
Colinux, but literally every single time I used or saw somebody use
it, it would Blue Screen of Death their Windows box at least once.
Also, getting networking working, which is critical, is much much
harder than with VMware (and VMware is also hard in practice for a lot
of people).

I've done performance testing and Sage+AndLinux is significantly
slower than VMware + Sage.    E.g., maybe 50% slower for raw compute
tasks.

One plus to colinux is that it has pretty good access to the windows
filesystem.

All these virtualization solutions require admin privileges to
install/use, which is a very serious problem.

Anyway, all that said, I wish there were a colinux/andlinux version of
Sage.  I don't have time to maintain one and nobody else has stepped
up.  There used to be a guy who did maintain one, but unfortunately he
passed away.

 -- William