On Mar 29, 12:29 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, it will never ever relieve one of the burden of issuing a var
> beforehand, since the Python parser can't understand the input
> expression if the var hasn't been declared.

So, I don't know much about how the preparser and variables all work,
but the following snippet

sage: preparse( 'f(y)=sin(y)' )
'_ = var("y"); f = symbolic_expression(sin(y)).function(y)'

lead me to think that if diff() and integrate() were to *always*
require specifying the relevant variable, and the expression only
contained that variable, then maybe the preparser could do something
similar and the operation could carry on from there.

So is the following *hypothetical* behavior not possible (or not
desirable)?

sage: preparse(  'differentiate(y^3, y)' )
'_ = var("y"); differentiate(y**Integer(3), y)'

If such a thing were indeed possible, I think it would make simple
uses of Sage for calculus a whole lot easier for students.

Rob