On 2009-Mar-29 11:55:48 -0700, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
>I think I will just add more targets to the makefile in the top
>directory, e.g. something like
>
>make   # use 1 processor
>make parallel # use all processors
>JOBS=3 make  # use 3 processors

FWIW, FreeBSD has just implemented something similar in its ports
system.  It defaults to a number of parallel builds equal to the
number of cores present and can be over-ridden (eg to 3) with:
  make MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=3 ...
I can't say that that particular name really grabs me but I
offer it as one example of prior art.

>> sysconf() is part of POSIX so it should work in any POSIX environment.
>> Microsoft made a big claim about Windows being POSIX compliant so it

To address William's later comment, sysconf() appears to be part of
IEEE Std 1003.1-1988 (POSIX.1), though I'm not sure if POSIX specifies
requires all the values to be queryable.  (And you are still up
against Microsoft complying with the letter, rather than the spirit of
POSIX).

--
Peter Jeremy