Ok, here is a first shot that has 100% coverage (except dumps):
http://github.com/bo198214/hyperops/raw/09e1da3372d7b431cdf557ffe164df9f91c08e68/formal_powerseries.py

I finally decided to name it FPSRing, for Formal Power Series Ring. It
resides in sage.rings.formal_powerseries

I hope Nicolas M. Thiery can throw a look onto it, and give me some
suggestions (public or private), while trying out what he wanted to do
with it, being my reviewer.

For me there are several open questions yet:
1. I dont know anything about coercing
2. I have no idea how to approach pickling, how to get dumps to work.
I think that the attribute functions are the problem like William
said.
3. I dont know what "sum_generator" and "product_generator" in Mike's
implementation do.
4. I dont know about formatting docstrings.
5. If I define _pow_ it cant be used with non-integer exponents, this
comes somehow from RingElement. So I instead defined __pow__. I dont
know exactly about the benefits or drawbacks of defining _operator_
instead of __operator__. I also dont know for which operators such
distinction exists, e.g. is there also a _lshift_ and _rshift_ and so
on?

Henryk