On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Robert Bradshaw
<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2009, at 6:36 AM, Henryk Trappmann wrote:
>

>> Ok, here is a first shot that has 100% coverage (except dumps):
>> http://github.com/bo198214/hyperops/raw/
>> 09e1da3372d7b431cdf557ffe164df9f91c08e68/formal_powerseries.py
>>
>> I finally decided to name it FPSRing, for Formal Power Series Ring. It
>> resides in sage.rings.formal_powerseries
>
> I'd rather it were named the more verbose, but significantly more
> explicit, FormalPowerSeriesRing. This fits better with the naming of
> all the other rings, and we do have tab completion after all.

I prefer FormalPowerSeriesRing, as well.

>> 2. I have no idea how to approach pickling, how to get dumps to work.
>> I think that the attribute functions are the problem like William
>> said.
>
> The basic idea is to implement a __reduce__ method, which returns a
> tuple
>
>     callable, (args,to,pass,to,callable)
>
> and then on unpickling (loads) it will return callable
> (args,to,pass,to,callable) as the re-constructed object.

If my guess about you loading/attaching local files was correct, then
the first thing you should do is put your code into the Sage library
and try the picking test again. The default picking/unpicking
mechanism might just work.

Franco