On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 at 09:41PM -0700, William Stein wrote:
> I'm going to write something to make it easier to grade say 20-30
> homework assignments that are turned in as sage worksheets.  If any of
> you reading this have also graded homework turned in as Sage
> worksheets, and have thoughts about how a nice workflow for doing this
> with the Sage notebook would work, please share them in this thread.

I am very interested in this, although I'm not sure the best solution to
this will be technical in nature.

A Sage worksheet has two aspects: first, it's like a source code file
that one can feed into a compiler or interpreter. So for that aspect,
we'd want to look at automated tools used by programming classes for
grading coding assignments.

The second aspect is that of a regular document, such as an HTML page or
LaTeX document. Grading this sort of thing is very much like grading
essays or papers in an English or writing class, which AFAIK is
un-automatable, unless one is using the staircase method. :)

The first aspect can be automated, but it depends on what's in the
worksheet. What's in these homework assignments?

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake <dr...@kaist.edu>
-----  KAIST Department of Mathematical Sciences