On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

>>> Somebody should make one for sympy :-)
>>>
>>> And another for numpy.
>>>
>>> Another for scipy.
>>>
>>> Maybe someone should make one about "finite element methods" using Python.
>>
>> I agree, but SPD is much higher priority for me now:
>
> Then make a quickref for SPD :-)
>
>> http://code.google.com/p/spdproject/
>>
>> and disentangling the sage notebook, so that it can be shipped without any
>> sage dependencies.
>
> How is that going?  I'm now very interested in that, since
> sage-windows can't go any
> further really without doing that too.

Unfortunately bad, I need to do my school now. But the latest status is here:

http://code.google.com/p/spdproject/issues/detail?id=4

if anyone could finish it, it'd be awesome.

>> Then one can trivially use any python library (be it
>> numpy, scipy or sympy or anything else) on any computer and also over the
>> web, and also create all in all packages easily. I think that's what needed
>> now.
>
> + full windows support :-)
>
> windows.sagemath.org

Yes, this is also extremely important.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 13, 11:25 am, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> > Maybe someone should make one about "finite element methods" using Python.
>>
>> I agree, but SPD is much higher priority for me now:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/spdproject/
>>
>> and disentangling the sage notebook, so that it can be shipped without any
>> sage dependencies. Then one can trivially use any python library (be it
>> numpy, scipy or sympy or anything else) on any computer and also over the
>> web, and also create all in all packages easily. I think that's what needed
>> now.
>
> Yeah, I have been thinking about how to make Sage and SPD play
> together nicely, i.e. at the moment all env variables in Sage are SAGE_
> $FOO while for SPD they ought to be SPD_$FOO. Getting this somehow
> resolved would be nice.

Yes, I am aware of this.

I can imagine people taking Sage and doing other custom distributions,
e.g. wanting to have their names too. But as to me, I don't mind using
SAGE_, as long as the main binary is called differently.

> By the way: SPD in Germany is the social party, so it does sound funny
> to my ears :)

I am aware of this too -- I was really thinking should I name it that
way or not, given my political preferences (way to the rigth of the
german spd), but then decided, yes, I am not German, I don't live in
Germany, Source Python Distribution is a good name, so be it. :)

> Another thing is that currently the dependencies for Sage are
> hardcoded in deps. It would be much nicer if somehow each spkg could
> provide some info that could be assembled in deps dynamically. That
> way you should be able to assemble some project via SPD by just
> providing a list of "key" packages and the rest would be put together
> automatically. I don't have any concrete plans to work on this, but
> maybe somebody else feels inspired :)

Yes, I was thinking about this too. I think what William just
suggested could do it.

Ondrej