On 13-Apr-09, at 8:08 PM, Ondrej Certik wrote:

>> Actually, it's not using fast_callable yet, but I do plan on changing
>> that (which should make things much faster). As for the zeta
>> function--is mpmath faster than pari? (If so, should we be using it
>> for zeta in general?)
>
> Probably not (yet). I just didn't know that Pari can do such nice
> graphs.

I need to compute gamma functions and incomplete gamma functions.
mpmath is so slow that my doctests take hundreds of seconds (and I
always killed them) instead of 10-15 seconds using pari to compute
such things.  The mpmath main loops are pure python, there's no way
it's going to be faster than even the most naive pari implementation.

And Pari itself doesn't really do nice graphs (or graphs at all?);
sage interfaces to pari to do nice graphs.

Nick