I downloaded the 10.5 ppc build of sage here:
http://www.sagemath.org/bin/apple_osx/powerpc/sage-3.4-PowerPC-OSX10.5-PowerMacintosh-Darwin.dmg

After launching, I ran notebook(), but that failed because a bunch of
dylibs in the sage lib directory link against /usr/local/lib/libintl.
3.dylib.  You should not be linking against anything in /usr/local as
that's not guaranteed to be on the user's system.

I had to work around this on my own by building that library and using
install_name_tool to change the linking.  For those interested in
repeating this process, I installed macports then did:

sudo port -v install gettext
for f in /Applications/sage/local/lib/*dylib ; do
        install_name_tool -change /usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib /opt/local/
lib/libintl.dylib $f
done