On Apr 24, 2:50 pm, Ben Goodrich <goodrich....@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

Hi Ben,

> Right, anyone (mostly servers) using Debian stable or oldstable is not
> going to be able to keep up with Sage easily.

Agreed, but I think you misjudge the number of people running Debian
stable on non-server scenarios. It is also quite common I believe to
run a Sage server on distributions which aren't targeted at the
desktop. Half a decade ago when there was no Ubuntu this kind of setup
(without Sage obviously) was quite common, but these days with Ubuntu
and their normal supported life cycle of a year this is less pressing.
But I think there is still a significant number of Debian 4 users out
there who are only slowly upgrading to Debian 5.

When you analyze the download numbers the most prominent Linux version
is the 32 bit Ubuntu binary which did surprise me initially since I
assumed people would be running 64 bit linux everywhere. The second
most popular download for linux was the 32 bit Debian binary, so there
is definitely demand for Sage on Ubuntu as well as Debian.

> But what I think Tim is
> saying is that he can't easily get a recent version of Sage into
> unstable (and subsequently testing) because unstable and especially
> testing usually have official releases of things Sage depends on.

Yes, I understand that.

> So, I was just suggesting that we could perhaps convince Debian
> maintainers of Sage dependencies to put pre-release versions into
> experimental, in addition to the official versions they maintain for
> unstable / testing. This would be annoying for them but maybe they
> would do it if we asked nicely. Then, Tim can get Sage 4.x into
> experimental when it is convenient for him, while Sage 3.0.x stays in
> unstable and testing until there is a window to sync some relatively
> recent version of Sage with 100% officially released dependencies.

Absolutely. Looking at my time table I don't think 100% of the issues
will be resolved in 4.0, but we can work with Tim to get it all sorted
out in subsequent bug fix releases 4.0.x before going after the pari-
svn update for example.

So the following packages need to be sorted out:

 * numpy to 1.3
 * scipy to 0.7 (maybe 0.7.1 if it is out by then)
 * NTL to 5.5
 * jquery
 * matplotlib (I know they have been talking about doing a release and
I believe they have a bugfix for the rare (libpng is size zero issue,
but I am unclear when they will release)

Is there anything else?

> Experimental, more so than unstable, does tend to have pre-releases of
> packages.
>
> Ben

Cheers,

Michael