On Apr 30, 1:06 am, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I am about to create an spkg which I hope may be optional one day. Its
> purpose is the computation of modular cohomology rings of finite p-
> groups (and may also include a database of the results for many
> groups, but first I want to be able to create it without the
> database).
>
> The developer's guide
> athttp://modular.math.washington.edu/sage/doc/developer/producing_spkgs...
> says "The spkg-install script should copy your files to the
> appropriate place after doing any build that is necessary. That’s it!"
>
> But what is the "appropriate place"? I have some guesses, but my
> computer experience is not deep enough to be sure, so please excuse if
> the answer to my questions is too obvious:
>
> - It comprises some executables, e.g. of C-MeatAxe. -> $(SAGE_ROOT)/
> local/bin/ ?

Yes.

> - It depends on database_gap. I think I was already told that my
> package should *not* automatically install database_gap if it is
> missing; it should just tell the user to install it, right?

Yes. Since it isn't standard you can actually use Sage to check easily
if the spkg is installed.

> - It comprises some Singular libraries. Where would Singular look for
> them? In $(SAGE_ROOT)/local/lib/ ? At least there seem to be some
> standard Singular libraries in that folder.

Those files will move. Having lib files in $SAGE_LOCAL/lib sucks for
various reasons. There will be some env variable where Singular
libraries are located once we update to 3.1 next week.

> - It comprises some Cython extensions, linking against a static C-
> MeatAxe library.
>   * Where shall I put that library? $(SAGE_ROOT)/local/bin/ ? Or would
> I need that library only in the build process, and can disregard it
> afterwards?

$(SAGE_ROOT)/local/lib would be the place.

>   * I have no clear idea what I shall do after building the Cython
> modules (.so). Something like the following should eventually work:
>   sage -i my_package_name.spkg
> and then
>   sage: import pGroupCohomology
>   sage: from pGroupCohomology import CohomologyRing
>   sage: R=CohomologyRing( some p-group )
> How can this be achieved? Where must I put pGroupCohomology.so into?

Well, I would create my own python package - installing things into
the Sage tree is *not* recommended.

> Best regards,
>       Simon

Cheers,