rjf wrote:

> I don't know what your experience has been in Sage, but the idea that
> many eyes make all bugs shallow may not apply in a case where only one
> or two people have the understanding to write or read a program
> regardless of how nice the language is.

At the same time, opening up the source code makes it more likely that
more people will be able to understand the mathematics behind it, as
they will have a concrete, unambiguous description of the algorithm.

Also, many bugs are found by people not intimately familiar with the
algorithms, but may have extensive experience in code.  For example,
Michael Abshoff has pointed out many bugs that are memory errors and the
like, where he may not have a total and absolutely deep understanding of
all the ins and outs of the algorithm.  (I say this as an example; I
know Michael understands lots and lots of the mathematics too.)

Having open-source code allows people that are extremely good at code
work together with people that are extremely good at math, so the
bug-finding crowd extends beyond the intersection of the two sets
(which, at the outset, may in fact just consist of your hypothetical two
people).

Jason

--
Jason Grout