On May 1, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Nicolas M. Thiery wrote:

> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 12:31:40PM -0700, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Robert Bradshaw
>> <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:

>>> Yep, this was opened a while back, and it turned into one of the
>>> longest treads ever... I would still like to see conclusion on that.
>>
>> Despite being a huge thread, the resolution is really easy.  I think
>> we should do the following: "The ordering comparison operators (<,
>> <=,
>>> =, >) should raise a TypeError exception when the operands don’t
>>> have
>> a meaningful natural ordering. Thus, expressions like 1 < '', 0 >
>> None
>> or len <= len will no longer be valid. A corollary is that sorting a
>> heterogeneous list no longer makes sense – all the elements must be
>> comparable to each other. Note that this does not apply to the == and
>> != operators: objects of different incomparable types will always
>> compare unequal to each other."
>
> +1

There was a lot of other stuff in that thread, but yes, lets do this.

> What's not resolved is how much the system should try to be clever
> when comparing, e.g., and element of QQ[sqrt(2)] and of QQ[sqrt(3)].

If a + b works, than a < b should be compared in parent(a+b) (which
may or may not have an ordering). For the moment, the above would
fail. (In fact, QQ[sqrt(a)] doesn't yet come with an embedding...)

Another unresolved issue was how to handle RealField(53).pi() ==
RealField(500).pi()

- Robert