William,

Thanks for your replies.  I mostly want to know what the consensus
interpretation of these issues is amongst the Sage devs.  Slowly, I am
getting a picture of what this consensus looks like.

> Publicly distributed code using GPL'd library must be GPL'd.

Great, to first order that is my understanding as well.

>> * Does the code run without sage?
>> * Does a sage notebook constitute "source code" in the GPL sense?
>
> Yes.

Again, this makes sense to me.  Interestingly enough though, it
doesn't seem like all of the people on the this feel this way.

>> * Is a notebook (even one that uses the "python" mode) a derivative
>> work of sage?
>
> No.

>> * If a sage notebook is "source code" does clicking "Share" in the
>> notebook constitute "distribution".  In other words, if a bunch of
>> people start sharing sage notebooks, do they all have to be GPL?
>
> No.  This is internal distribution, so the GPL doesn't apply.  This is
> no different than the NSA (say) distributing a program from one
> researcher to another, and obviously they don't have to GPL their
> code.

Ahh, this distinction between internal sharing and public distribution
is important and I hadn't thought about that.

>> The usage case I have in mind is using this to teach University
>> courses in computational physics.  I know others are already doing
>> this (William is right now I think).  If I share notebooks with
>> students and they with me, does everything have to be GPL?
>
> No, definitely not.   But if you post the notebooks publicly and they make use
> of the sage library, then they have to be GPL'd.

Great, this is what I thought.  But, then some (or even many) Sage
users and devs are in violation of the GPL.  I think it would be
useful to document these things somewhere so Sage users would know
very clearly how the GPL affects them.

>>  If we only
>> use non-GPL libraries and the "python" mode of the notebook could we
>> choose a different license?
>
> Yes.

Great.

Thanks!