On Thu, 7 May 2009 10:32:56 -0400
David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I just want to pass along some ideas I got from Sage developers at
> the recent NSF-CDI conference in Rhode Island. I don't know how
> feasible they are.
>
> (1) One Maple developer suggested that the pexpect interface
> Sage<->Maple could be improved using the Openmaple API
> (http://www.maplesoft.com/applications/view.aspx?SID=4383).
> Instead of passing strings back-and-forth, you simply pass pointers,
> which he said would be
> faster.
IANAL, and I don't want to start a license discussion thread again, but
binary linking to Maple might be a violation of the GPL.

> (2) Another person suggested that if one was to ask for Maple support
> in any sort of collaborative
> project (Hoon Hong suggested that research on interfaces is important
> and needs further development,
> for example), the best person to ask would be the guy in charge of
> R+D, whose name I have
> forgotten. Is there any objection to trying to pursue this angle? (I
> have no idea how
> fruitful it will be, but IMHO it can't hurt to ask.)

The director of R&D at Maple is Juergen Gerhard.

What would be the proposed project in this case? Improving the
interface between Sage and Maple?

Thanks for the information about the workshop.

Cheers,
Burcin