On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:32 AM, David Joyner wrote:

> I just want to pass along some ideas I got from Sage developers at the
> recent NSF-CDI conference in Rhode Island. I don't know how feasible
> they are.

I guess you meant "Maple developers"?

> (1) One Maple developer suggested that the pexpect interface
> Sage<->Maple could be improved using the Openmaple API
> (http://www.maplesoft.com/applications/view.aspx?SID=4383).
> Instead of passing strings back-and-forth, you simply pass pointers,
> which he said would be faster.

Yes. I've played with this a little. There is some good example C code
in the Maple distribution. The infamous new (new with release 9, I
think is was, the current release is 13) java-based user interface
uses Java bindings to this same API. Here a few more recent