On May 10, 5:01 am, Prabhu Ramachandran <pra...@aero.iitb.ac.in>
wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Prabhu,

> I had a mini-vacation and I spent a while trying to get sage working
> with VTK on a Macbook.  The machine is somewhat slow and experimenting
> takes a long while.  I've managed to get VTK built with Sage but
> required a framework build.  Here are the details.

<SNIP>

> I have the following questions:
>
>   1. Why isn't --enable-framework turned on by default for the sage
> python build on the Mac?  If this isn't a hassle can you please consider
> making this the default?

It caused some issues in the past and we would have to special case
certain bits of Sage's build system to deal with OSX specific settings
with frameworks. None of the components in Sage require Python as a
framework and IIRC it caused relocation problems, but those might be
fixed now.

I don't understand why VTK needs Python to be a framework. Googling
around for 5 minutes did not reveal anything useful. Can you give me
some pointers and/or documentation on this?

Another problem is that if we changed the default for OSX we would
need to force a rebuild of every other python component in Sage, so
since we don't have any problems as it is seems plainly not worth it.

>   2. What else would it take to get the VTK package to optional quality?

No clue. I have not looked into this at all.

> Thanks!
>
> cheers,
> prabhu

Cheers,