On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:57 AM, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/5/14 Michael Abshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com>:
>>
>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:45 AM, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Your comment about the sum function suggests to me that something
>>> similar might be behind the weird thing I reported yesterday.
>>
>> Yeah, we ought to suggest to the pari people to rename such generic
>
> I don't think they would rename "sum" to please us!

I doubt they will do it, but asking can't hurt. There is loads of code
out there with potential naming collisions and if you write a library
you ought to know better than to make such a rookie mistake. Not that
I have a high opinion of the function names in pari anyway ... and
they seem to be really breaking backward compatibility in 2.4svn
anyway.

>   I wouldn't want
> to rename the C++ class called "rational" in eclib either.  But I
> might consider a request to wrap all my global names in a namespace --
> presumably that would work here too.

Well, some of the C++ code in Sage doesn't even use proper namespaces.
But so far nothing unfixable has happened, but there was a short while
in Cython 0.10-devel when things got pretty screwed up and Sage served
as a test case to deal with headers containing potentially colliding
symbols.

Cheers,

Michael