Sorry for the slow reply.  sage-devel's Reply-To munging drops
everyone from the Cc: on replies and I'm normally not directly
subscribed to the list.

(because of this kind of problem, I do think that everyone should run
their high-traffic mailing lists without any sort of reply-to munging,
like the Linux folks do)

On May 6, 9:46 pm, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Since they haven't released in several years, this might be a good time to
> > send them any patches Sage has against ghmm that haven't been applied
> > there already.
>
> Well, William did some pretty deep changes upstream does not want,
> i.e. Sage does not use the XML interface that they want to keep non-
> optional, so I am not sure how much of the code should actually go
> upstream.

Yeah, that does sound potentially problematic.  What is the motivation
is for avoiding the ghmm XML interface?

Is the plan for Sage to maintain the changes to evade the XML
interface indefinitely?

Does the Sage patch for this at least not break any functionality in
upstream ghmm?  If so, I could potentially include it in the Debian
ghmm package.

> > I can't figure out what those are, however, because the .spkg in Sage
> > 3.4.1 seems to have a bunch of patches that don't do anything (i.e. the
> > file being copied in is replacing an identical file).  Did someone
> > accidentally overwrite the copies in the upstream directory, or did the
> > patches all get merged already?
>
> Sounds like an accident.

Yeah, that's what I figured.  It'd be helpful if you could shoot me an
email when that gets cleared up so I can take a look at the Sage
diffs.

> As is the code in Sage is actually partially
> broken on Itanium/Linux (some allocator just segfaults), so this ought
> to be sorted out in Sage 4.0.x. Right now the plan is to do 4.0 before
> SD 15, 4.0.1 after SD 15 with work from SD 15 and patches that didn't
> make it into 4.0. and then hopefully sort out everything for Debian
> for 4.0.2, i.e. about a month from now. Does that fit with your time
> table?
>
> After that we ought to have 4.1 which should deal with the category
> patches, etc.

That schedule sounds reasonable to me.  To be honest, I'm incredibly
busy right now with my startup (Ksplice) and so I can't make any
commitments regarding when I'll find time for Sage work.

        -Tim Abbott