---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Goran S. Ivanovic <gsivano...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM
Subject: Compiled Sage on Slackware 12.2
To: wst...@gmail.com

Hello Dr. Stein,

Just to let you know that I compiled SAGE on my Slack 12.2. I
installed it temporarily to see how the compilation process would go.
It's an old box so I doubt you would benefit from any information on
time it took to compile the whole thing. What's important (at least to
me) is that after I typed "make" and hit enter no intervention on my
part was required. So, I guess you can now say that it readily
compiles on the latest Slackware with all the packages installed. Oh,
one more thing: I installed the entire Slack DVD and did not need to
either download additional packages or tamper with sage configure file
(if there is one).

The big picture is that I'm an industrial engineer and have used
Mathematica extensively in the past. I got involved with computer
algebra software while doing my masters at Auburn University. I find
it rather disconcerting that I couldn't look into, say, simulated
annealing algorithm and see how it was implemented in Mathematica.

I don't know much about Sage but am willing to give it a try in the
years to come. It is simply unbelievable how many diverse packages
you've got there. I don't need a full blown $2,000 for what I do and
appreciate the freedom of choice!

Take care and thanks for a promising software package,

Goran Ivanovic

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics