On May 19, 3:49 pm, David Harvey <dmhar...@cims.nyu.edu> wrote:
> On May 19, 11:41 pm, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, in this case it is completely ironic that the zn_poly 0.9 code
> > in FLINT is compiled, but not used since it causes a doctest failure
> > in the Monsky code. When using only FLINT it passes the doctest. The
> > failure is a different one compared to when FLINT shipped with zn_poly
> > 0.8, but there are two possibilities:
>
> >  (a) the glue code from FLINT to zn_poly or some other change Bill
> > might have made to zn_poly inside FLINT causes the bug
>
> >  (b) zn_poly 0.9 has an undetected bug.
>
> Ok, I wasn't aware of this, let me know when/if you have more details.

Yeah, sorry about that. The updated FLINT has not been merged, so it
wasn't a burning issue and had originally planned to debug this with
malb before notifying you if was an actual bug in zn_poly (and not
Bill's modifications or glue code) since there is little benefit from
pressing the panic button ;).

Since malb left and other things have come up this has gone off the
radar, but if you drop the FLINT.spkg from #5817 into say Sage 3.4.2
for example you should hit the following (at least on sage.math):

sage -t -long devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/
monsky_washnitzer.py
File "/scratch/mabshoff/sage-3.4.2.alpha0/devel/sage-main/sage/schemes/
elliptic_curves/monsky_washnitzer.py", line 1562:
    sage: B.det()                                               # long
time
Expected:
    11 + 484*t^2 + 451*t^3 + O(t^4)
Got:
    245 + 240*t + 724*t^2 + 808*t^3 + O(t^4)

Since we tested that Spkg the coverage of padics has shot up to 100%
thanks to David Roe, so maybe there are other examples, but I have
never tried.

> david

Let me know if you need anything else from me in case I can do
something.

Cheers,

Michael