ahmet alper parker wrote:
> I just remembered the mails below. I think, I have confused matlab
> with mathematica.

Unfortunately, the link I provided to a newsgroup entry about Wolfram's
commitment to Mathematica is not a Wolfram page at all.

> Well, "A free distribution of the world's most widely used open source
> mathematical software that builds easily from source"
> If this states "most widely used opensource which builds easily from
> source" then you are right.
> But, if this states "most widely used opensource" and at the same time
> "builds easily from source" then for other software, some info for
> showing it is difficult to maintain for some platforms can have a
> standpoint. If it is easy to build from source, I can build it on
> anywhere I like. If don't like the ones in your mails, which are
> harder to be maintained at those platforms, than it will not be easy
> to build it from source.
> Anyway, just an idea.
> Hope it helps...

The Wikipedia page stated exactly what I wrote before - I used
copy-and-paste.

"A free distribution of the world's most widely used open source
mathematical software that builds easily from source."

I'm a bit confused what you mean in your email, but I think it would be
better to show Sage builds easily from source, than to pick fault with
other mathematical software which does not.

The term "mathematical software" ambiguous. The unix tool 'bc' is quite
possibly more widely used than sage. It will be distributed with every
version of Unix/Linux. How much it is used I don't know - I tend to use
it myself in shell scripts.

Perl is certainly more widely used than Sage and is capable of quite
sophisticated maths. Perhaps the word "specialized" needs to go in the
Wikipedia entry. But that might imply something that has limited use.

I can understand why someone added that tag about the Introduction being
unsourced. Finding some better wording, and references to back that up
would be useful.

Any suggestions anyone ?

Dave