Hi

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Burcin Erocal<bur...@erocal.org> wrote:
> There were long discussion about the typesetting of partial derivatives
> in the new system, but I don't think we got to a conclusion yet.

I am afraid, we might never reach a conclusion in this regard :-)
It seems to be a classic case where we are trying to fit one size
for all.

Given the previous arguments for/against any specific scheme
for derivative typesetting and my own experience while experimenting
with sage typesetting code, I am now more inclined to follow
the strategy as outlined below.

(1) Let there be options such that one can use either typesetting
scheme by choice in run-time.

(2) By default, we follow a rather hybrid approach:

   (a) If we all agree that there is no ambiguity when the particular
        argument is a "symbolic variable" or "symbolic function" then
        we should typeset them as those found in text-books.

        Ex:
        (1)  D[0,0,0] (f)(x,y)    =>  \frac{\partial^3}{\partial x^3} f(x,y)
        (2)  D[0] (f)(g(x,y), h(z)) =>  \frac{\partial}{\partial
g(x,y)} f(g(x,y), h(y))

    (b) I guess, the main objective for this thread is now to decided
         what should be the default scheme when the argument itself is an
        "expression"

       Ex:  (from Burcin's mail)
       (1) D[0](f)(x + y, x - y)  =>  ? [ (i) MMA-like  (ii)
Maple-like (iii) Others ]

                My vote:  (ii) Maple-like

Thats my two cents.

Cheers,