On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 6:03 AM, Marshall Hampton<hampto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I care about the polymake spkg, and I know a few users who do too.  It
> would be nice to fix it; the last time I tried to install it I got
> some errors I didn't understand at all so I'm not sure what exactly
> the problem is.  Its probably out of date anyway, so it might be best
> to start from scratch if it is to be fixed.

I hope somebody will try. The first time I ever heard of Polymake was
at Berkeley, where a lot of grad students wanted to use Polymake, but
couldn't build it (literally -- it was impossible because of lack of
RAM on their laptops).  So I spent a day and got it to build into sage
with some hacks.  It was somewhat painful.   Polymake really is the
"Sage of polytopes", and is equally heavy.   I hope somebody else will
do work and figure out how to build polymake into any sage well...