On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Ondrej Certik<ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Brian Granger<ellisonbg....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>> One important
>>> thing to note is where the Framework goes.  It will be installed in
>>> $SAGE_LOCAL/Frameworks.  The bin and lib directories (where
>>> executables and site-packages) end up will be subdirectories of this.
>>> You will probably need to point PATH to something like
>>> $SAGE_LOCAL/Frameworks/Current/bin.
>>
>> My sage-env script (of somewhere else) had this:
>>
>> # For a framework Python build on OS X, Python's bin directory is not
>> local/bin
>> if [ `uname` = "Darwin" ]; then
>>    PATH="$SAGE_LOCAL/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin:$PATH"
>> && export PATH
>> fi
>
> Thanks for the scripts!
>
> I am afraid however, that this is too incompatible with Sage. E.g.
> once I start doing this in SPD and femhub, any package, like VTK, that
> works in femhub will *not* work in Sage. And that's bad.
>
> So unless Sage itself switches to the framework build, I am afraid I
> will have to just figure out a fix for VTK to build.

There's no a priori reason Sage shouldn't switch to using a framework
build.  Probably the only reasons we don't are:

(1) I had never heard of framework builds when I ported Sage to OS X.

(2) Certain people (e.g., mabshoff) didn't like them for whatever
reason (see archives of sage-devel).

I don't think either reason is technically sound.  I would certainly
like to test out switching to a framework build for sage on OS X.  It
does seem really silly that we have python, but don't even get to use
the features of the nice native OS X gui that Python nicely makes
available.   I always thought all these "native gui not working on
random OS" issues with Sage would have been sorted out over a year
ago, but that didn't happen.

 -- William