Hi,

the updated vtk package that works with python2.6 is here:

http://femhub.googlecode.com/files/vtk-cvs-20090316-minimal.p4.spkg

the package skips installation on Mac by:

# disable the package on darwin for now, as it doesn't build there
if [ `uname -s` = Darwin ] ; then
    echo "This package doesn't build on OS X, skipping."
    exit 0
fi

so it "works" on Mac too. I have investigated how to compile and link
stuff on Mac and I know how to fix cmake to work, see my package for
our own C++/Python package hermes:

in our case, there were 2 problems:

1) the cmake default Python discovery code picked up the default
systemwide Python framework on Mac, so this patch forces it to use
Sage Python:

http://github.com/certik/hermes2d/commit/12c5f9f3a97372d2e7efe0eedee29346af954f0b

2) then one has to link properly the .so extension modules, so that
they a) build and b) import in python, this was fixed by this patch to
the cmake files:

http://github.com/certik/hermes2d/commit/8d7c7b08c321d208d5f794e29c2909eb7b07a94e

and now it works both on linux and Mac. So a similar thing has to be
done for the vtk as well.
So I think it should be possible to make it work with *nonframework*
Python build in sage.

the latest mayavi package is here:

http://femhub.googlecode.com/files/mayavi-3.2.0-osmesa1.p1.spkg

it's build is also skipped on Mac.

Prabhu, did you make any progress on fixing VTK to build? I think the
framework is only useful for a GUI, but we use notebook for the gui
and there it just needs to build. Considering the amount of work and
testing to convert all Sage to use framework python on mac (e.g. the
whole linking to Python would change in all spkg packages, but maybe
some of them don't have to be changed), I would rather fix VTK.

Ondrej