On Jul 22, 2009, at 2:21 PM, William Stein wrote:

> No worries.  This will get sorted out.  Burcin is sharing his opinion,
> but it isn't the law or anything, and Sage development is not done by
> "dictators".
>
> I would like to hear more from other users if anybody else has an
> opinion.
>
>   -- William

I'm in complete support of Golam on this. He and I have similar needs
on this
issue. Plus, as I've stated before, outputting the D notation to LaTeX
isn't
particularly useful since it isn't well recognized so any paper or
thesis using
it would first have to explain it. Given paper size constraints, this
isn't
practical.

Burcin states that Maple uses this notation for partial derivatives
and while it
can, it doesn't always and there is a command to convert to the
standard notation.
What I've found is that most average users use standard notation while
the people
work develop Maple packages prefer the D notation.

A big problem is that people aren't used to reading the D notation. I
can read
complex examples in the standard partial derivative notation quickly,
while I will
spend a minute or two on each line that uses D notation.

The other problem with the D notation is that it doesn't match
textbooks for teaching
purposes.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey