Recently there was a thread that dealt with having axes of 2d plots
cross at non-origin points.  This is a "problem" (depending on who is
talking :) of the current Sage axis code.

There are some *very* cool things coming up in the next release of
matplotlib that are related to this.

The release candidate for this next version of matplotlib is out now, so
hopefully we will update to this newer version of matplotlib soon.

In addition to supporting axes inside of the images, matplotlib supports
curvilinear axes now as well.  See:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/axes_grid/demo_floating_axis.html

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/axes_grid/demo_curvelinear_grid.html

(I wonder if it would be best to strip out the 2d axis and gridline code
in Sage and instead use the very nice features that are being developed
in matplotlib!)

Also, in case you didn't see it, there was a huge surge of interest in
3d plotting using matplotlib.  You can see some example results at the
bottom of http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/gallery.html

I'm really glad that we picked matplotlib to base our 2d plotting on.
They do a very good job and have a very active developer base.

Thanks,

Jason