On Aug 11, 4:29 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to let people know that David Ackerman -- a UW student who
> took my course on Sage last quarter -- is working (funded by NSF) on
> creating a "units package" for Sage right _now_.  If anybody has any
> pseudo-sage code that involves units that they wished work, please post it
> to this thread. What do you want units to *do*?

I'm assuming you mean physical units, not something algebraic.
I'm rather fond of the ezunits package in Maxima.
(Disclaimer: I wrote it.) I tried to exploit symbolic computation
in useful ways; I'll let you be the judge of it.

 *  a quantity and its units comprise an expression
    which can be mangled in the usual ways
 * clear, terse notation for units and unit conversion
 * quantities can be anything (symbol, list, matrix, etc)
 * units are ordinary symbols, need not be declared before use
 * usual lazy evaluation of arithmetic on quantity + units
 * unit conversion = solving equations
 * favor exact quantities (not automatically floatified)
 * symbols can be declared to have units
 * includes dimensional analysis
 * includes a list of physical quantities represented
    as symbols with units and other properties
 * derivative and integral of quantity + units via pattern matching
    (still working on this one)

?? ezunits and ?? physical_quantities finds the documentation.
demo(ezunits) shows some examples.

Maybe a Sage units package could do something similar.

FWIW

Robert Dodier