I think as a first step I'll only implement the additional argument
for the two methods "is_field" and "is_integral_domain".

For the other suggestion, namely to allow the user to assert that a
ring is in fact a field, would the following be the "right" way to
implement this?  1. Add a new attribute to the ring class, say
IS_FIELD, initialised to None, 2. Implement "assert_field(check)" to
set IS_FIELD = check, 3. Change "is_field" such that (ignoring the
issue about raising an exception or returning False) if IS_FIELD is
None it should behave as now and otherwise it should return the value
of IS_FIELD.

Many thanks,

Sebastian