On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Dr. David
Kirkby<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

> I'm having problems with that patch. Any attempt to download it on my
> system gives me a file with a load of html in it.

That's because you're getting the html-formatted version of it instead
of the raw (plain text) one.  See below:

> Could you post a link to the patch file, and instructions with the
> command to use and directory to be in when its run.

There are several ways to do this.  I personally prefer using
Mercurial queues, see

http://wiki.sagemath.org/MercurialQueues

for a crash course.  Follow what that page says until the point where
you have done "hg qinit".  Then, for this particular patch, you would
do

hg qimport
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/raw-attachment/ticket/6699/maxima_doctests.patch
hg qpush
../../sage -b

At this point you have merged the patch and rebuilt the Sage library.
You can now run tests, etc.  If you want to also check out what the
modifications to the documentation look like, you have to use sage
-docbuild to rebuild the various things (tutorial, constructions,
reference manual, etc.)

When you are done with looking at the patch and want to get rid of it,
you just need to do

hg qpop
../../sage -b

and your Sage is back in its original shape.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
-- Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/