Hi,

I am working on a patch that exposes few more properties
of GiNaC symbols in Sage. This will allow users to specify
their domains as well as custom latex_names.

Using Stan's example, it would be possible to do
-------
sui = var('sui', domain='real', latex_name="\\color{red}\\s_{u,i}")
-------

However, there are some issues that needs to be discussed.
It seem that in GiNaC, its not possible to update the domain
of an already defined variable. On the hand one can have
different variables with same name (but different serial).
Thus, we need to move pynac symbol directory within Sage to allow
flexible usage but still keep unique variable names.

Consider the following situation
---------
sage: xc = var('x')
sage: xr = var('x', domain='real')
sage: xc
sage: xr
sage x
---------

Here we have two choices

(1)
---------
sage xr is xc
True
sage: xr - xc
0
---------

(2)
-----------
sage: xr is xc
False
sage: xr - xc
x - x

Now my question is whether we should allow (2) or (1) ?

See also Burcin's this mail for related discussion

http://groups.google.com/group/pynac-devel/browse_thread/thread/76868c8ad5ae5b70

Cheers,
Golam