William Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Tom Boothby <tomas.boot...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Jan Groenewald <j...@aims.ac.za> wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> Two more ideas:
>>>
>>> 1. a by default OFF feature, which can somewhere be set to
>>> on, to prevent the CPU/RAM problems. Probably will trip up
>>> inexperienced users who will leave it on though.
>> The aforementioned CPU/RAM problems are intractable in the multi-cell
>> mode.  Having more than three or four syntax-highlighting franken-divs
>> will just crash your browser.  Perhaps if you have a few dozen gigs of
>> RAM, it won't crash because it will slow to a crawl before filling up
>> all available memory.
>
> That is a bit of an exageration, but a fun one :-)

Indeed!  I just opened up 6 TinyMCE instances (which are exactly these
"franken-divs" that we are talking about), and things seemed pretty
snappy still.  There was a CPU spike when the TinyMCE initialized, but
input seemed very responsive.  Keep in mind that only one of these
content-editable divs will be changing at a time.

Why would having more than one content-editable div increase the memory
that much?  Presumably there is a global shared library of javascript
functions that provide all the actual guts of the editing, so there
won't be that much memory needed to instantiate any single editor.

Jason