On Sep 16, 1:46 pm, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> William Stein wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:03 AM,  <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> >> Another idea for a project is to finish the statistics module wrapping
> >> functionality in R.   I'm teaching a modeling class right now and I wish I
> >> had a nice module of statistics functionality.
>
> > Thanks.  If you have any more specific thoughts about this project, it
> > would be massively appreciated.  Since I have an undergrad student who
> > I've hired this quarter to work a few hours a week on doing just the
> > above.  Unfortunately, I personally have never taught any classes that
> > use statistics much... so if you could say more about what you might
> > want such a "nice module" to do, it would be very useful!
>
> > I've cc'd this email to sage-devel and the student (Andrew Hou), in
> > case more people want to make comments.
>
> I'm looking into updating the R and rpy packages.  Right now, our R is
> way out of date.  Also, rpy2 has a lower-level interface to R than rpy;
> presumably it's faster/better.

In your copious free time, be sure to address the tickets which
essentially make it impossible to do a lot of the things R people want
via Sage.  That was the biggest feedback I got when we talked to R
folks, including the one who presented at the JMM session with wdj and
rmiller - for instance, importing fairly standard packages didn't
work, I think some notebook stuff didn't really work...

But from the educational p.o.v., since 1/3-1/2 of "math" courses at
many institutions are statistics, having robust statistics in an
environment students could expect to use professionally would be a
very good selling point.  Right now it's a hard sell (especially at
places which use SPSS or some other commercial or fancy GUI software).

It would be great if anyone knew any R developers (or very heavy
users) who could join sage-devel and give relevant feedback, like we
have with Maxima and other upstream packages.

- kcrisman